Sunday, February 26, 2012

Josie Mae Purser

BYU vs. Utah Basketball Game - Winter 2011
Notes from Michael Bair’s conversation with Josie on 2/25/2012:
-Once had the opportunity to meet the LDS prophet, Joseph Fielding Smith. Josie worked with his son who made an appointment to have lunch with his dad. Josie was in the lunchroom and she thought it was so nice that he would not only introduce her, but he introduced her as his dear friend.
-While at a doctor’s appointment, Josie was passing by the LDS prophet Thomas S. Monson. He went out of his way to say hello to her, ask her how she was doing, and about her service in the church.
-Josie is almost 81 and still volunteers weekly with Helping Hands, she cares for her roommate daily, makes meals for a neighbor weekly, plants her garden so that she had produce to give to others, makes special treats for many, and I’m sure is involved in many other things as well.
-Josie was an amazing softball pitcher. One time she went to watch her brothers play on the ward team. They were short one guy and so they asked the other team if Josie could play. They said yes and Josie pitched that game. They won by a large amount and it got to the point that even during the game the other team kept saying it didn’t count since they were short a player. Josie talked about another occasion in which she ditched school to play softball while her parents were in California, but came across a family friend who informed her parents. Josie would often pitch to her sister Darlene who she described as fearless back behind the plate. When Darlene married she did not play as much as she figured she needed a hand that wasn’t bruised and beaten from Josie’s pitching.
-BYU sports are a passion of Josie. She could sit down and watch any sports if she had more time, but she loves BYU sports and loves to watch even if they’re losing. We’ve been able to go with her to a basketball game the last two years now and each time it has been a very fun experience. Josie always brings cashews and chocolates in her purse for game snacks. She treats us to dinner after and this last time she saw a good friend that she stopped to say hello to make sure she was doing well.
-Josie served a mission in Western Canada. When she came home she had a friend encourage her to move to Salt Lake City, Utah. She told him to find her a job and she’d come. The next day she received a phone call saying a job was lined up and to come down in two weeks.
-A rule growing up is if you were late for church then you had to walk home. Josie learned when she was young to be on time.
-Josie and her siblings did not like the cafeteria food at school. Her dad said if they walked fast enough they could come home with him for lunch which they would do. There was always some kind of treat like homemade break for them when school got out, but they had to hurry home or they’d miss out. Most families didn’t have other kids over after school, but Josie said other kids would come to their house because, “Mother would never turn down anyone.”
-Each year Josie’s work would give them a nice Christmas gift like a clock or binoculars. One year she received a very nice watch. She was fishing with her sister Ruth one day and Ruth got her spinner stuck out in the water. So Josie took off her watch and gave it to Ruth to watch while she waded out in the ward to get the hook unstuck. She came back in, they rebaited their hooks and casted out. Josie asked for her watch back and the Ruth’s face turned white. She said when she casted she heard something else hit the water and it was the watch. Josie said Ruth felt so bad about it that she didn’t have to. They were not able to find the watch that day, but she saved up and found a watch very similar to the one that she had before.
-One of Josie’s dreams is to fish in Alaska. She loves fishing and she loves eating fish. Whenever we’ve eaten with her she has ordered some kind of fish.
-Josie has stressed on various occasions the importance of wearing sunscreen. Josie was always outside playing and now is undergoing different treatments for skin cancer.
-I remembered my Grandma Darlene Bair one time mention to me how she had rock fights when she was young. Josie said that all the neighbor kids would be out playing and that some of the older kids thought what they were doing was childish and so they started throwing rocks. Josie and Darlene thought they’d return the rocks and threw them back which became known as the neighborhood rock fight.

Family Reunion, Logan, Utah - Summer 2011

Obituary:
April 23, 1931 - February 25, 2017
Josie Mae Purser quietly slipped from here to eternity on Feb. 25, 2017, to join her parents, Albert and Abbie Purser, and nine of her brothers and sisters in Heaven. Josie was born April 23, 1931, in Brigham City, Utah, and she was the ninth child in a family of 11. When she was 5 years old, her family moved to Preston, Idaho, and there they planted their roots. Their property included an apple orchard, which was a favorite place to play and pick a variety of Transparent, Strawberry, Macintosh, and Snow apples. She always loved those particular varieties of apples because they reminded her of wonderful days at home. Her childhood consisted of hard work and wonderful adventures with her sisters and brothers. Ice skating, sledding, camping, going for rides in the mountains, picking apples, and all types of outdoor games and activities were a part of Josie's life.
Josie was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She served in the Western Canadian LDS Mission, with headquarters in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, in 1954. Before she left for her mission, she received an invitation to try out for the Salt Lake Shamrocks, a women's professional baseball team in Salt Lake City. She loved baseball, and she loved to pitch, but she chose to serve her mission instead. She held many callings and was very devoted in serving others throughout her life.
Josie worked for Beneficial Life Insurance Company and retired after 33 years. She lived mostly in Salt Lake City, Utah, but in 2016 she moved back to her hometown of Preston. She is survived by one brother, Sterling (Joyce) Purser, Brigham City, Utah; and four sisters-in-law, Donna, Udell, Floris and Dot Purser; and many, many nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by four sisters, Ruth (Richard) Owens, Abbigail (Dean) Woodall, Joann (Dave) Ezola, Darlene (Quin) Bair; and five brothers, Gordon, Hyde, John, Eugene and Arlend Purser.
Josie and her family are so grateful for the love, concern, and visits from all of her family and friends. We would also like to express our appreciation for all of the loving, tender care she received from the angels at the Transitional Care Unit in Preston.
Services will be held Friday, March 3, at noon at the Preston South LDS Stake Center, 55 E. 1st South., Preston. A viewing will be held Friday from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the stake center. Interment will be in the Preston Cemetery. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hjnews/obituary.aspx?pid=184299722#sthash.PnZpApxP.dpuf

Adelyn and Jacob Bair at the cemetery 

Pat and Josie

Photos collected of Josie

Photos collected of Josie

Josie on the bowling team

A framed photo of a 2 dollar bill. Josie always had these in her wallet and would hand them out to everyone. 

Josie and her parents.

A poem written about Josie.
Gravestone

Letter to Josie by Michael Bair, 3/8/2017

Dear Josie,

I wanted to take the opportunity to write some thoughts and feelings down. Kaylene called and let me know that things were not looking good. I called and let Kylie know. She had just arrived in Brazil. I also tried to explain what was happening to my kids. We prayed for you and it wasn't long after that initial phone call that I heard from my Aunt Kathy letting me know that you had passed.

This is hard for me. Grandma and Grandpa Bair have both passed. Grandma Dawson has passed. Grandpa Dawson is still alive, but unfortunately I haven't seen him for some time. When we first moved to Utah and started visiting you regularly, you filled a hole for me. When I was around you it helped me to remember Grandma Bair. We have been visiting for the last 6 or so years now.

You filled a similar role for Kylie. My kids came into the world and you shared your love with them as well. They loved coming to visit you and Pat. They loved your hugs. They enjoyed singing for you. They also loved the little treats and $2 bills.

I think this is especially hard for me because of the amazing person that I think you are. If I were to name the few people that I feel have had a significant influence on my life, you would be one of them. We visited you at your home and at the hospital, went to BYU games together, went out to head several times at Sizzler's and other places, and made trips to family reunions because we especially wanted to see Josie.

I'll never forget seeing your excitement at BYU games. You loved watching the cougars and you wore an old royal blue Sailor Cougar sweater. Security would check you purse as you walked in and just smile when they saw that you packed chocolates, nuts, and other treats for the games. I'll never forget when we walked out of Vivint Smart Home Arena. We were waiting on the corner and someone was standing there holding a sign asking for money. I did my best to just look straight ahead while you reached into your purse and did as Christ would do.

Our visits were always surprises. One time we popped in and you were putting together breads that you collected from bakeries. You took these around to people that were in need. I had the opportunity to drive you one time and I could help but think that you were 80+ years old and people should be doing this for you.

You loved your garden. You were so grateful for the little effort it took for us to rent a tiller and prepare the ground one spring. You used your garden to take care of everyone else like Grandma Bair did. I think about this with my little garden every year and try to be like you.

You had that sparkle. You would wink at me and make me smile. You never married, but I never sensed bitterness. You gave your life taking care of Pat.

I'm not sure how you did it, but one of the things that I admired and appreciated the most is the amount of love you shared. I could feel it. My family could feel it. We thought we were coming over to do something nice for you, yet we always left feeling so much better because of you. I felt like you could see in me, things that I couldn't really see myself. I wanted to be better because of you.

During Christmas break Kylie and I thought it would be good if I had some one on one time with you. I left and surprised you. Lavell Edwards had just passed away and he was one of the first things you brought up. You mentioned the influence that he had on so many and I can't help but think now about the influence you have had. Though I could see that your physical body was tired and in pain, you still smiled. We still talked. You expressed how much you loved me, my wife, and our children. I expressed our love for you as well. You had to look in your drawer for treats to share with me and for me to take home to my family. I'm so grateful I was able to have these moments with you. It was hard to leave and I'll never forget this special moment. 

I miss you so much Josie. I know that you are in a better place now. You are with Grandma and your other siblings and parents. When I got that second phone call and told Addy, the first thing she said was, "Josie went back to be with Heavenly Father." I've repeated those inspired words from my four year old daughter over and over in my mind. We are members of His true church and I really do believe that family relationships do not end at death. We will live again and can be with each other again after this life.

I want you to know Josie that I think about you often. I think about what you have taught me. I think about wanting to be a good person like you.

Thank you for everything Josie! I love and miss you!


Spouse:

Children:

Parents:
Lyman Albert Purser
Abbie (Hyde) Purser

Siblings:

1 comment:

Sherryl Thorman said...

I used to work with Josie at Beneficial Life many years ago and have lost touch. I tried to look her up and found no listing. Is she still at the same address? All I remember is Vidas... in SLC. I would really love to get in touch with her!

Here is my email and my cell:
thormans@msn.com
435-730-0958

Thanks!
Sherryl (Anderson) Thorman