Friday, March 23, 2012

Ruth Isabel (York) Dawson

Birth Certificate
Birth Certificate

Marriage Certificate

Becky Bair's Thoughts (daughter, 2009)

The things I remember about my childhood is that our family didn't have alot of money to spare. But it seemed like mom and dad made sure that we took family vacations. The one I remember is when we went to yellowstone. We rented a u-haul trailer to pull behind are car. At night time my Dad slepted on the back seat of the car,I slepted on the floor of the car and my brother Jim slepted on the front seat of the car. The rest of the family slepted in the back of the u-haul. It saved money so we didn't have to have a motel. Alot of our family vacation I remember we would bring along my Grandma Churchill. She came with our family alot. Most of the time we would just grab food and sleeping bags to go camping with. We would bring a big tarp and lay it on the ground and then put all our sleeping bags on it. We would put a tarp on top just in case it started to rain. Another thing I remember about my growing up years is that my Dad would always like to take a Sunday drive. I used to dread those sunday drives and mom would always make us go. We would sing in the back seat of the car to entertain ourselves. One time we were on are way up to featherville and a deer jumped out in front of the car of course we hit it. We had to be towed. Another time we had an old station wagon and the tire fell off of it. I remember the time it was my mom,dad, Loretta and I went to disney land. We all shared a room together. My Dad snored alot well my sister Loretta would make these loud sounds to try and wake him up. Of course it didn't wake him up but it woke my mom and I up. Dad was a carpenter and some times he would take jobs out of town to make money for the family. He was working in Las Vagas we got to spend a month down there living in a camp trailor at a KOA camp ground. It was fun. I remember that I went swimming everyday why we were there. They also had a two seater bike that the seats were side by side. On payday Mom would let us rent one for an hour to go riding around. The other things we would do to keep our selves intertained is play card games like old maid. Needless to say some of us would tend to cheat. But I remember laughing alot. I guess the best part I remember being together as a family no matter what the case was.
Ruth and Oscar

Michael Bair's Thoughts (Grandson, 2009)

I do not see my Grandpa and Grandma Dawson as much as I'd like, but I have some great memories with them. I love Christmas parties in Grand View. The party is even better when Grandpa gets out his guitar and plays some music. Grandpa plays the classic old country songs that I love. He does it with a huge grin on his face with his foot tapping to the beat. It is impossible for anyone there to look at Grandpa and not smile yourself. I really appreciated Grandpa and Grandma showing up at our wedding reception. He is a great guy and still working hard at his age.

I love grandma. Just like Grandpa it seems like she is always wearing a smile and you can't help but smile back. I love the sound of grandma's voice. It is sweet and kind and is usually asking me how my life is. I enjoy playing games with grandma and some good ol Scrabble. Every once in a while Grandma and Grandpa will stop in at home with a load of wood or just to say hi. I'll never forget every year my parents letting us open a present on Christmas Eve. For a while we were able to open what Grandma got us, but eventually we started to choose to open up something else because Grandma Dawson always got us body wash and we wanted toys. I also appreciated my Grandma sending me a card every once in a while when I was on my mission in New Mexico.
Ruth's School Picture



Michael Bair's Thoughts (Grandson, 19 December 2011)
I was really excited when Grandpa decided to strum the guitar a bit. He put on what he called his "Vegas shirt" for me. He referred to the guitar he chose to play as "this blonde" when giving the reason why he chose to play this guitar because it looks good on camera. When Grandpa plays I can't help but smile. He walks into the room, makes time for you, and makes it a point to say hello and leave you smiling.

Grandpa and Grandma both talked about how they met each other playing a game of "ditch 'em". The game entailed chasing each other around in cars. They eventually moved to Grand View from Caldwell because of work and for the opportunity to be out on their own.

Grandpa had several stories that he shared this weekend of hanging out with his brothers. He talked about experiences they had of run ins with others and how they'd take care of problems by smacking someone with a solid punch in the face when something was going wrong. He and his brothers looked after each other and spent a lot of time together. Grandpa said when he came back from Korea that he was in great shape and was a solid 240 pounds.

Grandma talked a little bit about what it was like growing up. They did not have electricity for a long time. She would have to milk the cows every morning before running a quarter of a mile to catch the bus. Kids have it a lot easier these days she said. Her sister Faye had to feed the pigs. She said the greatest invention that has come around during the time that she has been alive is the washing machine. She recalled the huge task it was to have to wash clothes before the washing machine came around.

My favorite part of the Dawson Christmas Party this year was spending time with my Grandpa and Grandma. I love them and am grateful for who they are and what they do for me.



Obituary:
     Ruth Isabelle Dawson, 83, of Grandview, Idaho, who died on Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at a Boise hospital, funeral services will be conducted on Monday, January 12, 2015, at 1:00 PM at Flahiff Funeral Chapel, Caldwell.  Ruth’s viewing will be held on Sunday, January 11, 2015, from 12:00-4:00 PM at Flahiff Funeral Chapel, Caldwell.  Interment will follow at Middleton Cemetery, Middleton, ID. 
     Ruth was born May 12, 1931 in Caldwell, Idaho to Conrad and Mary York.  Ruth married Oscar “Swede” Dawson on July 11, 1954.  They have been married 60+ years. 
She is survived by her spouse and their six children:  Sharon (Terry) Hensen, Irma Johnson, Diana (J.R.) Whitted, Jim (Dena) Dawson, Loretta (Ron) Wilson, Becky (Stan) Bair.  Ruth leaves behind 21 grandchildren, several great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.  She also leaves behind two sisters:  Faye Dunlap and Betty (Bob) Allen. 
     She is preceded in death by her parents, 3 brothers; Bob, Richard, and Con York; and her sister Edyth Truesdall: step-dad, Hank Churchill. 
     The family would like to give a big thanks to the staff who took such great care of our mom at St. Alphonsus, and thank them for taking such great care of us too. 
     Mom loved bowling, and was still on a team up till her death.  She loved anything that was with family.      She enjoyed doing word search books and loved all her grand, great, and great-great-grandchildren.  She also enjoyed the quiet peaceful times with just her and dad.  We all will cherish the wonderful memories that she will forever leave in our hearts.  Condolences can be given to the family at www.flahifffuneralchapel.com 
Click here for the obituary.
Document displayed at the entrance of the funeral.


Burial, 1/12/2015, Middleton Cemetery





Ruth (York) Dawson Chart

Spouse:
'Swede' Oscar Ross Dawson

Children:
Sharon Ruth (York) Hensen
Irma Jean (Dawson) Johnson
Diana Lynn (Dawson) Whitted
Jimmy Ross Dawson
Loretta Kay (Dawson) Wilson
Becky Rae (Dawson) Bair

Parents:
Conrad Ray York
Henry M. Churchill
Mary Louise (Phillips) York (1st Marriage) Churchill (2nd Marriage)

Siblings:
Edythe Oma (York) Truesdail
Robert R. York
Baby York
Faye Louise (York) Dunlap
Richard Conrad York
Betty Joan York

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just watched your video on Grandma, I still have tears running down my face. I agree more should of been said. Terry asked it we wanted to have people come up and talk, we all said no. We all believe mom is still with us. We have all felt her presence at one time or another. We have talked about our different experiences. But the not seeing her and sharing things with her, and being around her is so hard. We all know she is in a better place. We know it but, we are still struggling with her not being here. Thank you again for such wonderful thoughts, she loved all of us very much.