Friday, March 22, 2013

My story

Family history work for me began when I took a family history class while I was attending BYU-Idaho. Up to that point I knew through a blessing that this was something that I needed to be involved with, but I did not know how to start. The class helped me to understand the basics.

We were to come up with a final project related to family history to conclude the class. It could be anything. My wife and I decided to do a family history blog. Many people do books. We felt like a book would be great, but then it wouldn't be limited in who could view it. We put together this website with only a few family names included, finished the class, and then we forgot about doing family history work.

About a year later I decided I needed to do more. I was a rookie at this with a small foundation from the class I took. I slowly started looking and found family members that had passed before. The more I learned, the more I have become connected to them. I feel strength from my ancestors. It has been a life changing experience!

What I didn't realize would happen is how I would become better connected to my family that is living. I have tried to put together videos, pictures, and stories from living family. As I've done so and then as I've shared it with others, I've become closer with my family.

I've come across family I did not even know that I had. At times I have felt a huge burden of family work that I need to get done. Then I come across family that have been doing this work for years and who have been able to guide and help me with what I am doing. I do not believe these connections are coincidences. I know this work is guided by the Almighty God.

I'm continuing to search for those that have passed. I'm continuing to relish in the new acquaintances that I am forming. I love this work! I really do!

No comments: