Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Respect

Questions:

Why is respect important?

How can I show respect in my home?


Quotes:

I hope that the noise of our homes will drop a few decibels, that we will subdue our voices and speak to one another with greater appreciation and respect. -Gordon B. Hinckley, Till We Meet Again

Happiness abounds when there is genuine respect one for another. Wives draw closer to their husbands, and husbands are more appreciative of their wives, and children are happy, as children are meant to be. -Thomas S. Monson, An Example of the Believers

Among the … values children should be taught are respect for others, beginning with the child’s own parents and family; respect for the symbols of faith and the patriotic beliefs of others; respect for law and order; respect for the property of others; respect for authority. … Without discipline, children will not respect either the rules of the home or of society. -James E. Faust, A Thousand Threads of Love

Teach your children to respect their neighbors. Teach your children to respect their bishops and the teachers that come to their homes to teach them. Teach your children to respect old age, gray hairs, and feeble frames. Teach them to venerate and to hold in honorable remembrance their parents, and to help all those who are helpless and needy. … Teach your children that when they go to school they should honor their teachers in that which is true and honest. … Teach your children to honor the law of God and the law of the state and the law of our country … and thereby they will grow up to be men and women choice above all the men and women of the world. -Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine 

I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... All I ask is that you respect me as a human being. -Jackie Robinson

When we treat people merely as they are, they will remain as they are. When we treat them as if they were what they should be, they will become what they should be. -Thomas S. Monson



A husband should always try to treat his wife with the greatest courtesy and respect, holding her in the highest esteem. He should speak to her in a kind and a soft manner, showing his love by word and deed. As she feels this love and tenderness she will mirror it and return it tenfold. I believe that of the two parties in a male-female relationship, the bearer of the priesthood has the greater duty to see that the commandments of God, the standards of the Church, and parental authority are honored. Likewise, when male and female violate these commandments, I believe the priesthood holder is generally more blameworthy because he has been entrusted with the great, righteous power to act in the name of God. One who violates this trust demeans both this ultimate power and himself and seriously injures the woman who has his confidence. –James E. Faust, The Highest Place of Honor, April 1988


Scriptures:


And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering: -Genesis 4:4, Holy Bible


And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers. -1 Nephi 2:16, Book of Mormon

Behold, I say unto him, he exalts himself and does not humble himself sufficiently before me; but if he will bow down before me, and humble himself in mighty prayer and faith, in the sincerity of his heart, then will I grant unto him a view of the things which he desires to see. -Doctrine & Covenants 5:24

And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received. -Doctrine & Covenants 84:54

Definitions:

Respect - an act of giving particular attention; consideration; high or special regard; esteem; the quality or state of being esteemed. Synonyms: appreciate, consider, esteem, regard, admire. -Merriam Webster
 

No comments: