Wednesday, October 1, 2014

#MeetMyGrandma



Grandma Bair
I am fortunate to know both of my grandmas. Grandma Bair passed away from her battle with cancer seven years ago. She fought hard until the end. There are several things that I remember about Grandma Bair. She worked hard in her garden and always ended up with a great harvest in the Fall that she would share with everyone. Grandma would race to produce the first tomato or the first cantaloupe. She would use her garden as a method of service.

We'd go and visit Grandma and Grandpa Bair on almost every Sunday. My siblings and I would sit in the living room for a few minutes while Grandma would check up on everyone before we went outside or downstairs to play. Grandma would always check in on me even if I was shy and didn't say a lot. I remember on one occasion she told me I should smile a little more. I remember other occasions her telling me how special I was and how proud she was of me.

Grandma Bair always had ice-cream, candy in the candy jar, or M&M's on her shelf. She would come and watch me play baseball when I had a game close by. She would write me letters on my mission and would often slip in five dollars for a burger. Grandma's cookies were delicious!

I admire Grandma Bair for the strong woman that she was. She believed in God and trusted Him no matter the circumstances. She faithfully followed Him throughout her life. With life's difficulties, she helped me understand and reminds me daily the principles of enduring, having faith, and remembering the important things in life.

Though she has passed, I know that her spirit lives on. I think about her doing the Lord's work now. I think about her being close. I confidently say that I know that I will someday see her again.

Grandma Dawson
I love my Grandma Dawson who just celebrated her 60th wedding anniversary. Very few people, especially in the times that we live in today, can say that they've been married for 60 years. We had a fun celebration this summer in Grand View. All of the family gathered together and it was amazing to see their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren all together in one place. All of those people together, as a result of Grandma and Grandpa Dawson.

My visits to see Grandma Dawson were typically at Christmas time for the big Grandview Christmas Party. All the family would come together to eat lots of food, play games, listen to music, put on skits, have Santa come, and stay up until the late hours of the night. Grandma is so fun to see at Christmas time. There were other trips that we'd make as well. During Spring Break we'd go visit Grandma and Grandpa and go to the sand dunes as well. We'd bring our paintball guns and run around the cars and the yard trying to survive. We'd meet at Givens Hot Springs or go to other camping areas during the summer for get togethers.

Grandpa and Grandma would also stop in at our home to say hello. Grandma is always so happy and optimistic. She smiles and always seems so excited to see me. I could always count on Grandma's birthday cards in the mail and having a small gift for us on Christmas. I remember opening an early Christmas Even gift from Grandma - soap on a rope!

I love my Grandma Dawson. I admire her for how supportive she has been of Grandpa with his professions. I appreciate the love that she shares with her family. I also appreciate her enduring strength through some of the health challenges that she has had in recent years.

I am so thankful for my grandmas. I am who I am because of them and hope to obtain some of the great qualities that they exemplify.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great words Michael, they are lucky to have such a wonderful Grandson!!!