Monday, November 9, 2015

Eric S. Bair

I search for historical documents, photos, videos, stories, etc. to compile information on my family members that are deceased. I love my family. I want to get to know them more and recognize them for all that they've done. Because ultimately, without them I would not be me.

In doing such research, I sometimes overlook and fail to celebrate my living family members who also mean so much to me. Today, and in future posts I'd like to put together and spend more of my time celebrating my living family who I love, care deeply for, and want to develop stronger relationships with. 

Today I'd like to highlight my brother Eric. 

Eric is two years younger than me. As an older brother I try to live in such a way to be an example and someone for my siblings to look up to (even though I realize I fall short in so many ways), but there have been several key moments that I can recall looking up to Eric.

We grew up in an area of diversity. Diversity in culture, thinking, religious observance, socioeconomic status, etc. I love diversity, but there is challenge to live a religious standard when so many around you do not. Our parents taught us about God and His commandments. I did my best to follow God, but I also found myself in difficult situations as I tried to balance following Him while being around others. I look up to Eric for standing firm in his beliefs. When he was put in difficult situations he held on tight to what he believed was true, followed it, and fled from anything that was contrary.

Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there are cultural pressures similar to other organizations. One of those pressures is for young men when they turn 18 (when we were growing up the age was 19) to spend two years of their lives in an assigned area in another part of the world serving others and teaching about Jesus Christ. This service is not paid for, but young men and women pay their own way. For young men, it is expected that they go. When I did this service, some of the other missionaries that I worked with didn't have their hearts in the work as much as they could have. For some, this lack of heart is attributed to the reason why they served (parental pressures to serve, peer pressure, obligation). Eric chose not to go when he turned 19. I admire him for not going despite the pressures he faced. I'm sure that time was extremely difficult for him. I'll never forget when we were attending school at BYU-Idaho together and Eric came to me and told me he was going to go and spend two years serving God. He was excited. I admire him for his courage to do things for the right reasons at the right time despite whatever social pressures are around. 

There are also many other qualities that I admire about my brother. He works hard for his family. He teaches them about the Savior, particularly through song. He is very handy and has taken on several impressive remodeling jobs in his home. If he doesn't know how to do it, he figures it out or checks out a book from the library and reads about it. I recently found out that Eric has been learning how to play the cello. I've always wanted to learn an instrument, but haven't put in the time and effort like Eric. Eric is great at playing games. He serves in the scouts. He is a man with a lot of great strengths. 

I've done my fair share of picking on my little bro, teasing, beating on, etc. I've also come to admire and appreciate many things about my brother. I've missed opportunities to strengthen our relationship or broship, but I'll keep trying.

I love you brother. Happy Birthday!



No comments: